As a veterinarian who has been in the profession for 40 years and have owned several practices and now act as a consultant on practice management, this is the most comprehensive treatise on veterinarian practice management that I have ever read. I feel that it should be required reading for every practice owner (associates too) and Hospital Managers (and most employees for that matter). The book covers a lot of ground, in an organized, easy to read format. Most veterinarians do not have a business background, this book will help you get to the top of the class to help improve your everyday practice life and more importantly your bottom line. It will be required reading for the people I consult with, and my only regret is that I didn’t have the book when I bought my first practice
Dr. Terry Clekis
I purchased over 20 books for my veterinary team members that are in Leadership positions or wanting to explore Leadership positions in our veterinary hospitals.
Also, I gave this as a Graduation Gift to my niece who is a brand new veterinarian! This book is easy to read, has practical current information which our teams finds helpful. I highly recommend this book to you if you want a fresh look at what Veterinary Leadership looks like and incorporate these good ideas into your team. This book fits our core value of continuous self-improvement at Tampa Veterinary Hospital and Highland Pet Hospital.
Dr. Melissa Webster
Dr. Donnelly’s very well-written book is a must-have, go-to resource to find solutions for common challenges. You’ll find clear answers to your most frequent questions and learn how to avoid common pitfalls. The book is comprehensive and full of practical information. This book is for anyone and everyone who has anything to do with the business of veterinary medicine.
Dr. Donnelly was instrumental in improving communication between our staff members and management, and she helped me to grow as a manager and a leader of my business.
We reached out to Dr. Donnelly when we were having trouble with employee engagement, staff feeling unappreciated, and general problems with communication between management and staff. She assisted us in all of these areas and more. She helped me identify areas where my management needs improvement and to build the skills necessary to become a better team leader. Dr. Donnelly helped us with several areas of HR including job descriptions, training, management structure, and reviews. She facilitated the selection and hiring of a qualified Practice Manager and gave us a structured program to follow to transition her into the position and develop her skills further.
Dr. Donnelly has been wonderful to work with. The staff found her both easy to talk to and appreciated her expertise and knowledge base. Her follow through is timely, personal, and detailed. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Donnelly.
Dr. Greg Lorenz
Leading and Managing Veterinary Teams is a must-have reference for every veterinary professional from students to seasoned managers and practice owners. Amanda provides a detailed description of how to manage today’s challenges in veterinary medicine including communication, culture, diversity, and HR performance. It contains strategies and specific action steps you and your team can start today. It is like having an MBA in your pocket.
Sam Romano, DVM, MBA, ACC
By tapping into her personal and professional experiences, Dr. Donnelly has put together a useful and practical guide to creating a successful veterinary practice. With a focus on leadership and management, the book provides not only details on how to lead a team but checklists and other resources that can be personalized and integrated into your daily operations. The sections on practice operations and business management give you a road map to follow for a truly profitable business. Overall, the focus on building and RETAINING a strong, unified team found in this book is a must have during a period when finding and hiring is truly challenging. Consider this a must read for all owners, managers, and future owners and managers.
I had the pleasure of hearing you speak at the AVMA convention. You are certainly a knowledgeable and skilled speaker. Your talk on empowering your team really hit home. You manage your time well while you talk and always gave a summary that told the “what” and the “why” very concisely. I picked up many tips about how I can manage my staff meetings better!
Dr. Donnelly really helped us get organized so we are no longer flying by the seat of our pants. We now have a much better idea of where we have come from and where we are going – and more importantly – how to get there.
We have become more goal oriented- this may seem obvious and simple, but many practices are good enough to get by – but not good enough to get better. I am very thankful to Dr. Donnelly for making the obvious (goal) part of everyday life. Of even greater importance is the fact that the entire staff has started to share in this same goal.”
Dr. Stuart Gluckman
I would strongly encourage anyone who wants to take their practice to the next level to consider Dr. Amanda Donnelly to equip them to do just that. She has been an invaluable asset to me, my team members and my practice over the last few years of working with ALD Veterinary Consulting. I can not imagine making an important decision about my practice with out seeking out her advice and wisdom. I feel comfortable saying my practice would not be where it is today with out Amanda’s help!
Dr. Rebecca Tudor
We were impressed with how Dr. Donnelly catered the event to match our needs and challenges. Her approach is very down to earth, she is accessible and we loved how she treated us like colleagues rather than students.
Dr. Donnelly has a tremendous breadth of knowledge and candor both of which were greatly appreciated. She knows a lot about a lot of topics and that worldliness makes her a tremendous resource to handle a wide variety of challenges. We liked how many different vantage points she had from within the clinic and how her expertise was not too myopic.
She coaches and teaches in a very comforting and partnering way. This makes everyone more receptive to actually embracing and implementing her coaching.
Praise for Dr. Donnelly’s Presentations
Feedback from Western Veterinary Conference
- Excellent speaker, very motivational and knowledgeable speaker. Great lecture!
- Good content. Applicable and practical.
- Great speaker, clear presentation, valuable topic!
- This series was by far the best of the conference.
- She was an incredible speaker and I hope to see her again someday.
- I found Dr. Donnelly’s speaking style to be confident, funny, and relatable. The information she gave was very helpful for me to take back to my practice.
- Very informative and helpful!
- Awesome speaker!
- I go to her talks each year. I think she’s great and always adds something to what I learned before.
- I attended all of your lectures at WVC and found them to be incredibly helpful and motivating. As I put together a plan and timeline for implementing changes in my practice, I find myself realizing that all positive change must begin with our core values. I can’t wait to sit down with my team and brainstorm these values together!
Testimonials from Toronto Vet Conference
- It was a real pleasure to attend your seminars this past weekend. I have gained a lot of knowledge and insight from your information and I am looking forward to applying this information personally and professionally.
- Thank you so much for coming to this event and sharing your knowledge. Your presentations were superb.
- I learned quite a lot from your lecture and feel better prepared to handle my new role as a manager. Thank you for sharing your insights with me.
- I just recently took on the manager promotion and you have helped me to open up my eyes in so many different ways that will help me and our practice so thank you again.
- I just attended your lecture at the VET conference. You are such an amazing speaker with great ideas. I look forward to implementing some new techniques.
- Your talks were the highlight of my lectures. Thank you!
- I attended your presentation at the VET conference in Toronto. You were a breath of fresh air. We (two CSRs and myself) thoroughly enjoyed it and took away several key learnings from our time with you. One woman commented that you made two hours fly by like it was twenty minutes.
From the Veterinary Managers Association Conference
- Amanda is an excellent speaker. She really engages in interaction with the classroom.
- Amazing speaker, very relevant with down to earth recommendations.
- Excellent speaker, engaging, funny and informative.
- I enjoyed your talk. Very clear, lots of good information and how we can use it in our practice.
- Engaging, lively and informative speaker.
- Used really good examples that were pertinent to what we do every day.
- Got everyone involved in the discussion. Great review of some info combined with many new “pearls”